[Product-Developers] Announcing the Plone UX hit-list

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Fri Sep 6 01:51:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

The Plone UI team is proud to announce the beta version of the Plone UX hit-list

https://trello.com/b/h8J1evdp/the-plone-ux-hit-list-beta

As part of the Plone UI Teams ongoing efforts to improve the Plone user experience we've developed a hit list of the top usability issues faced by the real users of Plone.
We used trello as it allows voting, collaboration and prioritisation. This is like a wiki and will change over time, so please subscribe to be kept up to date. Unlike similar past efforts like uservoice we're focusing purely on the user experience of core Plone and on what needs solving rather than the solutions themselves. We think this will help focus development effort where it most helps, and leave the creative problem solving to those that do it best: developers.

Our goal is by the time of the next years conference, the top 5 issues from each list will be history.
To do this **we need your help**.
We want you, the developers, to do what you do best  **solve these tough problems**, writing the code that will put Plone back on top as the easiest to use open source CMS.

What this means to you:-

*you are organising/attending a sprint*
- Not sure what to do at a sprint? Pick a top hit-list item. Already working on a new feature? Read the hit list, get others to read it. See if any of your ideas help fix other UX issues. You might be able to extend your code to solve issues you hadn't considered.

*you want to contribute to plone*
- pick a problem, discuss ideas on how to solve it on plone-developers or ui at lists.plone.org, create a PLIP and write some code. Not sure on UI? wireframe or mock it up it and discuss your solution on the UI team list. Thats what we're there for. There are usability experts on the list more than willing to work with coders to just the right solution.

*you authored a plugin that already solves a top issue*
-  PLIP it! get it into the core. Reference the UX hitlist issue in your PLIP. This helps the FWT understand the impact your solution could have on real users.

*you're a user or a trainer or do plone support for end users*
- review the list, vote based on user needs and contribute missing issues. Note, vote max 5 times in one list please. It helps us gauge the real pain points.

"you integrate or theme plone*
- we've got a list specifically for your experiences. Contribute issues and vote.

Trello is super easy but to give you a flavour of what the current list looks like, here is just the current top iissues.

For Editors
---------------
#1 Not obvious how to edit/publish folder when it has a default page
#2 no out of the box way to include listings/rich content/repeated content into the text of a page
#3 idea of default page is not obvious
#4 not obvious private items might be shared

For site admin
-------------------
#1 not obvious to use sharing and workflow together for complex workflows
#2 confusion between names of roles in sharing vs users configlet
#3 Need additional affordances for automatic image optimization to prevent performance problems.
#4 Not easy to move content between sites
#5 not easy to see global activity on site

For integrator/themers
#1 hard to discover or share themes
#2 Can't quickly change a translation via configuration
#4 No notification when new versions of add-ons are available
#5 Not obvious when diazo rule uses lots of CPU

If a UX issue is not covered then just send an email as to address listed in https://trello.com/c/wplrKkl3/47-readme-got-ux-issue-click-here

Dylan Jay

---
www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
P: +612-9955-2830 | linkedin.com/in/djay75