[Product-Developers] Private messaging between members

Carsten Senger senger at rehfisch.de
Mon Sep 2 06:05:25 UTC 2013

We have a bigger Plone site with an active community that has ~3000
frequently active users and plan to develop an add-on to send private
messages between members. Every member will have an "Inbox" where he
sees the list of members he has a conversation with. All messages he
exchanged with a member will be shown in 1 plain chronological list. The
functionality of the inboxes will be very simple. Beside the list of
messages per conversation we need to get the list of conversations with
unread messages and their unread message count.

Currently we plan how to store the messages and look into the following

- ZODB / BTrees
  - seperate ZODB mounted somewhere
  - store messages in either
    - a huge btree with all the messages, similar to
      plonesocial.microblog
    - a tree of objects per user/conversation, messages in btrees
  - store the unread message count per conversation

- Store the messages in an RDBMS

For simplicity reasons we would like to keep the messages in the ZODB.
Has someone experience with a similar system and the performance of
BTrees? Is there a product with similar storage requirements that we can
look at?

Thanks,

..Carsten

--
Carsten Senger - Schumannstr. 38 - 65193 Wiesbaden
senger at rehfisch.de - (0611) 5324176