[Product-Developers] conventions on version numbering

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Oct 31 07:31:01 UTC 2013

Christian Ledermann wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com>
> wrote:

> Here is the real definition:
>
> MAJOR: the next big thing and we intentionally break things in a
> large way
>
> MINOR: we break imports, we are _trying_ to be as compatible as
> possible
>
> PATCH: only bugfixes, no API changes, no new features
>
>> :D sad but true, room for improvement

Import changes are usually not a problem - they can fixed easily.
API changes happen rarely - usually not a big problem.
The problem are changes in the behavior methods - intentionally
or not - this is the major pain when it comes to migrations.
At least I had two major issues with a weird behavior of
plone.outputfilters and traversal issues with plone.app.imaging URLs
with a customer migration 4.0 to 4.2 - the issues have been so weird
that it was hard and at some point to time consuming to debug the real
problem in Plone. I ended up building workarounds in my application code
(more maintainable, less time consuming).

- -aj