[Product-Developers] status of newsletter packages

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Nov 5 21:04:35 UTC 2013

On 06/11/2013, at 12:31 AM, Paul Roeland <paul at cleanclothes.org> wrote:

> On 2013-10-30 20:01, Dylan Jay wrote:
>

>> I also agree that we need internal solutions. Gov don't like paying for
>> extra extra services and there are things singing and dancing can do
>> that mailchimp can't like collect Plone content togeather and send it
>> automatically.
>
> Basically, what is needed is a 'newsletter' product that creates a HTML
> mail, as solid as possible regarding css, and then sends that off to
> *one* email address.
>
> That address should be the one of your favourite mailinglist provided,
> be it Mailchimp if you have no privacy requirements and a lot of money,
> or something like Sympa if you run in-house.
>
> Mailing list handling (bounces, load balancing, rate limiting etcetera)
> is *hard* if your list is non-trivial in size. And not something we
> should solve. Yet creating the mail itself is definitely useful.

There is one in between option that is useful. Sendgrid is a service
we use for some clients. You define the list of users to send to and
it handles delivery, bounces tracking etc and for a very reasonable
price.
One reason to use this is you can have complex list segmentation. We
run lists for every bus route in NSW for www.sydneybuses.info and we
tried mailchimp and 3 of its competitors and none of them could handle
that many segments, at least at the time. So we used singing and
dancing instead with sendgrid.
So I think there is place for list subscribe/user profiles in plone
but I think it's something very custom so needs to be done in a tool
like pfg or plomino so you can really customise the subscribe
experience.