[Product-Developers] <pissed> Generating the Dexterity boilerplate for Plone 4.3</pissed>

Jens W. Klein jens at bluedynamics.com
Tue May 28 20:22:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-28 17:32, Steve McMahon wrote:> For anyone who's reading this
exchange who hasn't worked with recent
 > releases of Dexterity, I'd like to put all this in perspective. All, of
 > course, my humble opinion, but informed by experience using, documenting
 > and training our toolset.
 >
 > 1) Dexterity's features — right now — work better than Archetypes.
 > (Admittedly, Dexterity is not as feature complete.) It's faster,
 > cleaner, more flexible and more testable.

This is true for all core use cases. If it comes to corner cases (i.e.
multilingual in combination with references and a widget for this) this
is not true.

Anyway, Dexterity is so much better than everything we had before, I
really have to say thanks to all the people behind its development.

 > 2) Dexterity's documentation is — right now — in better shape than the
 > Archetypes docs. That's in part because it hasn't been exposed to so
 > much entropy.

AT docs were in a good state some years ago. At some point they were
moved around, formatting was lost, AT evolved w/o editing docs and so
on. And nowadays nobody has interest to fix this. This is fine. I
shouted "Archtypes must die" loud the last years. Lets get rid of it.

Dexterity docs are - right now - compared to archtypes docs - right now
- better. But what comparasion is this?

 > 3) Dexterity is — right now — more trainable than Archetypes.

Indeed, if you skip pointing people to docs. If you explain everything
yourself, pointing people to working code, yes.

 > Does this mean everything's shiny and fine? Of course not. Lots left to
 > do. And suggestions, bug tickets, and even gripes that swim in petulant
 > bad attitude are welcome. But, let's not lose perspective on the overall
 > situation.

+1

Jens

--
Klein & Partner KG, member of BlueDynamics Alliance