[Product-Developers] <pissed> Generating the Dexterity boilerplate for Plone 4.3</pissed>

Jens W. Klein jens at bluedynamics.com
Mon May 27 07:51:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

I can only agree here. I had to teach dexterity the last months a bit to
newbies - experienced programmers, but complete new to pyhton/plone.

The whole landscape of dexterity documentation is a mess. It is
distributed over the web, there are plenty outdated documents around,
you dont know whats recent and even recent docs are broken. The grok
soft dependecy is a mess. Grok doesnt help anymore to simplifiy thing,
it just confuses people.

Hint: Delete outdated docs as soon as possible, consolidate all
dexterity docs at one place and get rid of grok, it tries to simplify
thing but adds a new level of implicity and magic difficult to understand.

just my 0.02€

Jens

On 2013-05-25 07:14, ajung wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am slightly annoyed with Dexterity under Plone 4.3.
>
> In the old days of Archetypes and Plone 4.x I could
> easily generate policy packages and the content-type
> boilerplate code easily and in a reliable way  using
> Paster + Zopeskel - perfect world.
>
> Now with Plone 4.3 and Dexterity everything feels
> like a big mess - from the integrators prospective.
>
> The official way for generating the boilerplate code
> seems(?!) to be https://pypi.python.org/pypi/templer.plone.
>
> First: this package generates code with grok dependencies
> that do not work on Plone 4.3 (I wrote an earlier email
> about this problem) - can be easily fixed.
>
> Second: generating a new content-type using templer
> generated code that seems to be incompatible with Plone 4.3
> (e.g.  an import to plone.directives which seems to
> have been refactored into plone.directives.dexterity ...
> and so on).
>
> Now I tried using the same with Plone 4.2 and the generated
> code is also not working on Plone 4.2 So what is this
> Templer stuff about? Causing trouble and frustration?
>
> Now tried it the hard-core way and tried to look up the Dexterity
> documentation and checked
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.app.dexterity#documentation
>
> All three links inside the Dexterity documentation section on PyPI
> lead to abandoned pages....great...I am pissed.
>

> Once again: having elementary functionality for integrators
> not working is bad for Plone. Yes, I can fix this all myself
> if I had time and interest but here is the chicken-egg problem:
> we have various other options available nowadays building
> CMS and web application without Plone. And as an integrator
> I do have some basic expectations to the framework. Basic
> things must just work.
>

> Andreas

Klein & Partner KG, member of BlueDynamics Alliance