[Product-Developers] <pissed> Generating the Dexterity boilerplate for Plone 4.3</pissed>

ajung lists at zopyx.com
Sat May 25 05:14:14 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I am slightly annoyed with Dexterity under Plone 4.3.

In the old days of Archetypes and Plone 4.x I could
easily generate policy packages and the content-type
boilerplate code easily and in a reliable way  using
Paster + Zopeskel - perfect world.

Now with Plone 4.3 and Dexterity everything feels
like a big mess - from the integrators prospective.

The official way for generating the boilerplate code
seems(?!) to be https://pypi.python.org/pypi/templer.plone.

First: this package generates code with grok dependencies
that do not work on Plone 4.3 (I wrote an earlier email
about this problem) - can be easily fixed.

Second: generating a new content-type using templer
generated code that seems to be incompatible with Plone 4.3
(e.g.  an import to plone.directives which seems to
have been refactored into plone.directives.dexterity ...
and so on).

Now I tried using the same with Plone 4.2 and the generated
code is also not working on Plone 4.2 So what is this
Templer stuff about? Causing trouble and frustration?

Now tried it the hard-core way and tried to look up the Dexterity
documentation and checked

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.app.dexterity#documentation

All three links inside the Dexterity documentation section on PyPI
lead to abandoned pages....great...I am pissed.

Once again: having elementary functionality for integrators
not working is bad for Plone. Yes, I can fix this all myself
if I had time and interest but here is the chicken-egg problem:
we have various other options available nowadays building
CMS and web application without Plone. And as an integrator
I do have some basic expectations to the framework. Basic
things must just work.

Andreas