[Product-Developers] Plone CMIS components release

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sun Jun 2 07:12:56 UTC 2013

Patrick Gerken wrote:

> Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> schrieb:

> You say it. That's why it is sometimes hard standing behind Plone as
> "professional" CMS. Take Alfresco (which I evaluated in depth
> lately)...Webdav here is working out of the box without hassles.
>
>> I had a look short look at alfresco too last week. I was able to
>> upload files via the web GUI, but not create structured data as
>> with Plone. If I understand it correctly, that is also not the goal
>> of Alfresco. So from my understanding, both WebDAV and alfresco
>> understand objects more or less like files, having a name and some
>> blob content. It is probably unfair to compare the WebDAV story of
>> alfresco with Plone.

Why unfair? It is a common requirement that editors want a tight
integration of Plone on the FS level. Although Plone is a web CMS it is
also widely used as DMS. So we official tell customers that you can
mount Plone through Webdav into Windows or Mac but this functionality
is fragile and user frustration is programmed. You can reach the same
level of reliability on Mac and Windows only with tools like Expandrive
or Netdrive or Webdrive that wrap Plone's webdav layer in some
(internal) way.

Andreas