[Product-Developers] Non-open source plone plugins?

Héctor Velarde hector.velarde at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:42:51 UTC 2013

On 31/07/13 04:03, Dylan Jay wrote:
> My understand was that you couldn't license a plone product with anything other than a GPL license due to the Plone GPL license. Does that prevent you from being to sell a plugin and not publish the plugin on pypi or plone.org?

HV> I just take a look at the GPL and I have a different interpretation
(as with anything involving lawyers):

"These requirements [the conditions to distribute a modified copy of the
Program] apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections
of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably
considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this
License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same
sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the
distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose
permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to
each and every part regardless of who wrote it."

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

that said, you can not distribute a modified copy of Plone with a
license different than GPLv2, but you can create and distribute (and we
do it when we license some Plone packages with licenses different from
GPLv2, like MIT) Plone plugins with whatever license you may want, even
those that prevent you from making public the plugin's source code.

best regards