[Product-Developers] Non-open source plone plugins?

Jean Jordaan jean.jordaan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 07:16:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:
> My understand was that you couldn't license a plone product with anything
> other than a GPL license due to the Plone GPL license. Does that prevent you
> from being to sell a plugin

Selling a plugin is fine: "we encourage people who redistribute free software
to charge as much as they wish or can"
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

> and not publish the plugin on pypi or plone.org?

You only need to make the source code available to the buyer, though you are
allowed to distribute it more widely. The buyer in turn also has the freedom
to modify or distribute the software. Neither is obliged to distribute it; see
Google and others who use GPL software and never make the code available.

"""
Thus, you should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without
modifications, either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone
anywhere. Being free to do these things means (among other things) that you do
not have to ask or pay for permission to do so.

You should also have the freedom to make modifications and use them privately
in your own work or play, without even mentioning that they exist. If you do
publish your changes, you should not be required to notify anyone in
particular, or in any particular way.
"""

IANAL ...

--