[Product-Developers] Licensing of Plone addons

Jean-Michel FRANCOIS toutpt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:01:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a question regarding licensing of Plone addons.

Context: The CMS Plone 4 is GPL v2 and is build upon Zope.
Zope is under ZPL license which is BSD-like
but it also adds clauses prohibiting trademark use and requiring
documentation of all changes.
Some core libraries of Plone are distributed under BSD license.

I know I can't use GPLv3 for Plone addons (ie. Cyn.in can't be updated to
use Plone4)

Now the questions:

   - Is there any default licensing for Plone addons?
   - If I want to create a product a là Cyn.in do I need to publish this
   project as GPLv2?
   - What is the GPL version when I just write "GPL"? (This is the case for
   many Plone addons.)
   - Can a Plone addon be licensed under the BSD license?

Regards / Cordialement,
JeanMichel FRANCOIS
Find me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/toutpt> / Retrouvez moi sur
Twitter<http://twitter.com/toutpt_nantes>