[Product-Developers] [ANN] collective.cover 1.0a1 released

Héctor Velarde hector.velarde at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:59:52 UTC 2013

After many months of delay, collective.cover 1.0a1 was finally released
last Monday, January 10, 2013.

It has been a lot of work: more than 5,000 lines of code, more than 700
commits, 20 contributors, endless hours of testing and reviewing… a lot
of excitement and satisfaction, in a nutshell!

You can use collective.cover to create elaborated landing pages
especially well suited for news portals, government sites and intranets.

Current release includes some basic layouts ready to be used, a working
layout editor (kind of) and some pretty basic tiles:

* Basic: shows general information about objects
* Carousel: shows a carousel of images
* Collection: shows the results of a collection
* Embed: used to embed content from a remote source
* File: shows a file object
* Image: shows an image object
* Link: shows a link object
* List: shows a list of items
* Rich Text: shows rich text format

We included a couple of mechanisms to compose a page: a search box that
lists the most recent items created on the site (better suited for sites
that change their front page very often, like news sites) and a content
tree box that lets you navigate your site structure to select the items
(probably more useful for intranets).

We know the UI still sucks. I had a brief conversation with David Glick
and Alex Limi after our presentation at the Plone Conference 2013 in
Arnhem. Limi was very critic with our approach and I think I understood
his reasons. We think most of the mess could be easily solved when
plone.app.toolbar becomes usable.

If you want to try it, please read the instructions on the package, take
special care on pinning correct versions of dependencies and remember
that collective.cover was developed to run on top of Plone 4.2 and
later. Read carefully the reviewers guide prepared by André Nogueira and
Thiago Tamošauskas, and have fun breaking things around.

We spend a lot of time trying to make this release stable enough to be
used in production sites. I want to make special mention of the great
work done by Silvestre Huens (quimera), Juan Pablo Giménez (jpgimenez),
Franco Pellegrini (frapell), Cleber Santos (cleberjsantos) and Gonzalo
Almeida (flecox).

Work on release 1.0a2 is already on course with the following main
objectives:

* Make collective.cover fully compatible with Plone standard tiles
(https://github.com/collective/collective.cover/issues/81) and probably
get rid of some of our own basic tiles
* In-line editing using Create, a comprehensive web editing interface
designed to provide a modern, fully browser-based HTML5 environment for
managing content (https://github.com/collective/collective.cover/issues/77)
* Refactor of some tiles, like the carousel
(https://github.com/collective/collective.cover/issues/123)
* Refactor of some ugly UI approaches
* Refactor of some ugly internals
* Bug fixes

We have collective.cover in production in a couple of sites (one news
site and one intranet) and we're going to use it on, at least, half a
dozen of new sites we're going to release in the following weeks.

Are you trying collective.cover? We want to know about it.

Please feel free to send us your comments, suggestions, bug reports and,
of course, fixes.

Development of collective.cover was sponsored by OpenMultimedia, Ravvit
and Simples Consultoria.

Share and enjoy!
--
Héctor Velarde