[Product-Developers] plone.app.ldap master: Plone 4 only?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Sep 24 14:28:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

plone.app.ldap is on github already:
https://github.com/plone/plone.app.ldap

The master currently does not support Plone 3, though that is easy to
fix by doing '<include package="Products.CMFCore" />' instead of
'<include package="Products.CMFCore" file="permissions.zcml" />.

But there are several zope.app imports.  These will break in Plone 4.3
unless we add those dependencies explicitly in setup.py or add backwards
compatible imports, with this familiar pattern:

try:
     from zope.component.hooks import getSite
     getSite  # pyflakes
except ImportError:
     # BBB for Plone 3, if we still need to support that.
     from zope.app.component.hooks import getSite

If it were just one import then this would be fine, but there are more
than ten.

So I say we officially drop support for Plone 3 on master.  Is anyone
against that?

I am guessing that due to the dependency cleanup in the upcoming Plone
4.3 this will be a natural point at which add-on developers will no
longer support Plone 3 because of this extra hassle.

BTW, master currently has a fix by sneridagh (Víctor Fernández de Alba)
that would be good to have in a release.  Hint: PyPI rights for user
maurits at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.app.ldap would be gladly
accepted. :-)

Thanks,

--