[Product-Developers] Plone Community and Development =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=93_?=Things of note (2012-09-07)

Eric Steele ericsteele47 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:34:01 UTC 2012

First of all, thanks to Alex Clark, Peter Mathis, Érico Andrei, and Elizabeth Leddy for clearing up issues mentioned in
the previous update!

If you're looking for a way to get involved, these may be great starting points. If you aren't sure where you might fit
in, email me at esteele (at) plone (dot) org and I'll do my best to find a place to exploit your talents and a mentor to
help you along.

Eric

Releases:

 * Unified and OS X installers for Plone 4.2.1 are now available at http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/4.2.1.
 * A note on Windows installers: Alan Runyan reports rather severe problems migrating it to Python 2.7. We're looking at
   potential solutions, most likely Ross Patterson's work on using Microsoft's Web Platform Installer (see
   http://rpatterson.net/blog/python-web-apps-on-iis for more). I hope to get the interested parties together soon to
   move things forward. If you're interested in helping, let me know and I'll include you.
 * Plone 4.3a1 should be out in the next week. Keep an eye out, there's some great stuff in there.

Community Things:

 * The Sea Sprint has reached its fund raising goal. Thank you to all who contributed. http://seasprint2012.chipin.com
   /sea-sprint-2012
 * The talk schedule for Plone Conference 2012 is now available: http://www.ploneconf.org/news/talk-schedule-is-ready
 * For those still looking for lodging for the conference, have you considered the Plone Boat?
   http://www.ploneconf.org/news/all-aboard..-the-plone-boat
 * Nathan van Gheem has started a UI Team review of some of Plone's existing features. They'll be looking for ways to
   revamp, declutter, and otherwise improve core functionality. This is a good opportunity to weigh in on areas of
   confusion or to take the proposed changes and make the fixes. Follow the discussion here:
   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29742345
 * Plone Symposium South America has wrapped up and was an astounding success. Don't be surprised if you see a lot of
   impact from Plone South America this coming year! In contributions from more than 18 new core developers, we saw a
   burst of internationalization efforts across several key documents. Read more at
   http://plonechix.blogspot.com.br/2012/08/plone-south-america-sprint-report-day-1.html
 * Elizabeth Leddy is working to revamp the contributor agreement process. She's collecting thoughts here:
   http://piratepad.net/gHbJXO3SFL. Let's make it easier for everyone to get contributing to Plone!
 * Another product of the PSSA sprints is the Plone Todo tutorial
   (http://tutorialtodoapp.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html) which teaches beginner integration concepts. Not only
   is it a good read, it's also being tested against all new Plone releases so that we can be sure that neither the
   tutorial nor Plone itself is broken.
 * The 60th Plone Tuneup is Friday, September 21st! Help us triage and fix tickets in this very special installment.
   More imformation at http://plone.org/events/community/60th-plone-tune-up-day

High Impact Bugs:

 * Tiny MCE and alt tags: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12322 . This is the most duplicate reported bug of the  last 3
   months.
 * Fixing error on plone.org when an item is protected by login: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12996
 * The new plone.app.jquery disables jquery-integration.js when upgrading Plone. For those using unwrapped jQuery calls,
   this can cause an "undefined variable: jq" error when loading pages. We need to make sure this gets documented in the
   4.2 upgrade guide. http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/plone_4_2_upgrade_notes

Quick Documentation Fixes:

 * Fix broken images in "where is what": https://dev.plone.org/ticket/11625
 * Update documentation on global variables in templates: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/13093
 * Document how to reset a password: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/9411

General issues, interesting problems (Fix them or debate them, I just want them gone):

 * Gifs are getting over-pixellated since Archetypes 1.7.11: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12952
 * Acquisition takes precedence over redirects: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12940
 * TinyMCE no warning on unsaved body edits: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12983
 * Content state changes use a get instead of post, which causes some issues: See https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12447,
   https://dev.plone.org/ticket/11970
 * prefs_install_products_form: Rendering causes traceback from
 * Products.TinyMCE.adapters.schema.getRichTextFieldNames(): https://dev.plone.org/ticket/12992
 * plone.app.stagingbehavior can break a site: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/13126
 * plone.app.theming edits are tied to manager role: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/13156

Trac Archeology – Oldies but goodies: