[Product-Developers] New style collections: migration, sub collections?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Fri Nov 2 11:43:40 UTC 2012

Op 01-11-12 21:04, Nathan Van Gheem schreef:>

 > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Alex Clark wrote:
 >>
 >>     Don't know about technical reasons, but what are the use cases for
 >>     "sub collections"?

You have a base collection that shows all Events created by author Joe.
  You also want a collection with the same criteria, plus an extra one:
category Music.  With sub collections, you can be lazy and avoid
creating the two original criteria a second time.  Also, you can now
show this in some navigation as a way to drill down to more specific items.

https://github.com/plone/plone.app.collection/tree/2.x-folderish-collection

<https://github.com/plone/plone.app.collection/tree/2..x-folderish-collection>

 > I don't recall the current status or discussion for this being merged to
 > core.

I have checked some branches.

- Plone coredev 4.2 and 4.3 use branch 1.x.

- Apparently, master and 1.x are entirely different commit histories, so
that can become an interesting experience when something needs to be
merged: https://github.com/plone/plone.app.collection/compare/master...1.x

- 1.x is based on Archetypes.  master uses Dexterity Items.  This
currently uses plone.directives.form, so that would need some changes
before this could be accepted into core Plone, I think.

- The 2.x-folderish-collection is based on the master branch and simply
uses dexterity Containers instead of Items.  Seems to work.  Sub
collections currently are completely independent of their parent
collections though, as far as I see.

- There is an upgradepath branch of two years old, which is not finished
but can still be a basis for migrating from old Topics to the new style
Archetypes collections.

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/
Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl