[Product-Developers] New style collections: migration, sub collections?

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Fri Nov 2 00:27:51 UTC 2012

On 11/1/12 10:29 AM, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few quick questions about the new style collections in Plone 4.2, to
> check that I understand them correctly.
>
> Unless I have missed something, old style collections are not migrated
> to new style when migrating to Plone 4.2.  Does someone have code that
> would do that?  Perhaps an add-on that I missed? If not, then I might
> want to create a package for that.

I'm not aware of existing code to do this, but it would be a nice thing
to have. Perhaps it would make sense to add to plone.app.collection (as
an optional thing) instead of a separate package?

> Sub collections are not possible in the new style.  I guess this is
> because the UI and the logic can quickly get confusing and you do not
> win much over creating a second, separate collection.

Right.

> I am guessing that creating a folderish version of the new style
> collections should work though, allowing you to nest them.  Some logic
> would be needed that looks for a parent collection and combine the two
> queries.  That may not be good for Plone core, but are there technical
> reasons why this would not be possible?

I'm not aware of technical reasons against it. I think the subcollection
feature was removed mostly because it was confusing.
David