[Product-Developers] plone.testing: how to create a POST request containing a file

Sean Upton sdupton at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:33:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Kees Hink <keeshink at gmail.com> wrote:
> Progress: Using zope.publisher.browser.TestRequest is probably the way to
> go:
>
>    >>> request = TestRequest(data = xmlfile.read())
>    >>> request.method = 'POST'

AFAICT, you can still do functional testing of a POST using
zope.testrbrowser from plone.app.testing.  This should be documented.
But for integration tests of the same thing (e.g. a browser view), you
do need a simulated request.

There are some reasons to consider using the native request/response
objects from Zope2 -- I cannot remember at the moment what they are,
but I think if you want a request to test both legacy skin code and
browser views as well, this is your better bet.  This is similar to
what I typically do for simulated requests in integration testing (you
could use a StringIO for the POST body):

import sys
from StringIO import StringIO

from zope.interface import alsoProvides
from zope.publisher.browser import setDefaultSkin
from z3c.form.interfaces import IFormLayer
from ZPublisher.HTTPResponse import HTTPResponse
from ZPublisher.HTTPRequest import HTTPRequest

from my.product import IMyProductLayer  # browser layer

def test_request(url=None, method='GET', streamin=sys.stdin,
streamout=sys.stdout):
    """
    make request suitable for browser views and Zope2 security.
    """
    response = HTTPResponse(stdout=streamout)
    request = HTTPRequest(streamin,
                      {'SERVER_NAME'    : 'localhost',
                       'SERVER_PORT'    : '80',
                       'REQUEST_METHOD' : method, },
                      response)
    request['ACTUAL_URL'] = url or 'http://nohost/plone/myform'
    setDefaultSkin(request)
    alsoProvides(request, IFormLayer)  # suitable for testing z3c.form views
    alsoProvides(request, IMyProductLayer)  # product layer
    return request

request = test_request(method='POST', streamin=StringIO(xml))

Sean

(all: feel free to use any of any code in this message under your
choice of MIT or GPL licenses).