[Product-Developers] Hiding Add-ons from Site Setup

Luca Fabbri luca at keul.it
Sat May 5 10:48:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Danilo Dellaquila <ddellaquila at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to know if there is any product that can help me to hide an Add-on
> from the list of available Add-ons in "Site setup". Let me explain why.
>
> I am in the situation of hosting multiple customers Plone sites running on
> the same Zope instance, each site is using a different Data.fs, and I have
> made a few packages for each customer customization, something like
> "Customer A Theme", Customer B Theme". Now, because they are on the same
> Zope instance, Customer A can see in its site Add-ons list that "Customer B
> Theme" is also available, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
>
> Hiding products from the Add-ons list would be also useful in some other
> cases, for example a more skilled customer can have PloneFormGen installed,
> while regular customers don't.
>
> I don't know if such a product exist and I'm willing to make one, if some of
> you can point me to the right direction.

Hi Danilo,

I don't think that a similar product exists (never heard about it).

You can try to implement this requiring additional permissions for
installing a product, but probably this will force you to patch 3rd
party products as well and I think this can require some times.

Another approach could be to store "somewhere" a list of site ->
product true/false checklist:
So you can simply check that if the users is not a Manager (so: a Site
Administrator) if first check this list. Probably some patches to
quickinstaller tool are enough.

--
-- luca

twitter: http://twitter.com/keul