[Product-Developers] [ANN] collective.z3cform.widgets 1.0a1 released!

Héctor Velarde hector.velarde at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:14:54 UTC 2012

sorry for the cross-posting...

I want to introduce collective.z3cform.widgets, a package currently
containing 3 widgets we have developed for projects we are working on:

TaskWidget (which is an awful name that surely will be changed on next
release) is a widget that lets you add a list of values to a field.

it was inspired by the widget used to add tasks to an user story in
Pivotal Tracker (now you know where the name came from), so you can add,
edit, delete and reorder the values entered easily; it uses the jQuery
taskplease plugin written by quimera.

https://github.com/Quimera/tasksplease

this widget will be used in packages like collective.polls and
collective.newsflash.

KeywordsWidget is a tokenizing autocomplete text entry that uses jQuery
Tokeninput and will be used on subjects fields; you can see a demo here:

http://loopj.com/jquery-tokeninput/

RelatedContentWidget (which is an awful name also) is a widget to manage
a list of relations dynamically created from an ObjPathSourceBinder's
source; I think it uses plone.formwidget.autocomplete.

it's very useful on sites with tens of thousands of content items, like
news sites, where you don't want to show a content tree because is
simply not practical.

it works more or less this way: the user clicks the widget button to add
related items; a modal window is shown; on the left we have the items
already related and you can erase them from there; on the right we have
a list of items available to be related; the widget looks for the 10
most recently published items and show them in batches of 10 items with
a small preview; the user can make a text search looking for items that
contain certain words; the user can drag & drop objects to the list of
related items.

we are planing a couple of additional widgets based probably on jQuery
Chosen plugin:

http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/

more info on collective.z3cform.widgets here:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/collective.z3cform.widgets
https://github.com/collective/collective.z3cform.widgets

main developers were flecox and frapell.

the widgets work for Dexterity-based content types only (to my knowledge).

comments (and contributions) are welcome! ;-)
--
Héctor Velarde