[Product-Developers] [LinguaPlone/plone.app.multilingual] Creation of "in-between" folders

Ramon Navarro Bosch ramon.nb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:44:35 UTC 2012

It's a problem I've been fighting for a long time. On
plone.app.multilingual we used the adapter TranslationLocator which choose
where to create. You can just adapt it to do your police. It would be great
to find a cool solution that solves the problems Martijn exposes. One
possible solution is on translating the content, if there is no parent
translation stop the translation and return a page with all the elements
that need to be translated before context :)

Ramon

On 21 March 2012 16:13, Martijn Pieters <mj at zopatista.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:31, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
> > While playing with both add-ons we came across the problem
> > that if the editor decides to translate a content piece - assume
> >
> > de/firma/presse/pressmitteilung
> >
> > to a different language then both add-ons won't create
> > a new content object under
> >
> > en/...../pressemitteilungen
> >
> > but the content will created inside the current content folder.
> >
> > This happens if the upper folders of the tree have not been
> > translated yet to EN.
> >
> > Wouldn't it make sense to to create the folder hierarchy inside
> > the destination language tree automatically inside providing
> > this weird behavior?
>
> The problem with such behavior is that you then have to decide what to do
> with:
>
>  * The workflow state of the parent folders
>  * What to do with 'default' pages; you can set some piece of content
> as the default view for a folder (similar to an index.html file on a
> conventional HTTP server).
>  * What to do with the non-language-neutral fields on the folders
> themselves (title, description, etc).
>
> LinguaPlone avoids making these decisions for you and instead expects
> you to make the decision on a folder-by-folder basis, by hand. Note
> that when you create a translation for a parent folder, any content in
> the same language as the new folder will be moved across
> automatically.
>
> You can implement your own policy on a per-content-type basis by
> providing a new ILocateTranslation adapter implementation. See
> Products.LinguaPlone.utils for the default adapter implementation for
> ITranslatable.
>
> --
> Martijn Pieters

Ramon a.k.a bloodbare