[Product-Developers] [LinguaPlone/plone.app.multilingual] Creation of "in-between" folders

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Wed Mar 21 15:13:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:31, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
> While playing with both add-ons we came across the problem
> that if the editor decides to translate a content piece - assume
>
> de/firma/presse/pressmitteilung
>
> to a different language then both add-ons won't create
> a new content object under
>
> en/...../pressemitteilungen
>
> but the content will created inside the current content folder.
>
> This happens if the upper folders of the tree have not been
> translated yet to EN.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to to create the folder hierarchy inside
> the destination language tree automatically inside providing
> this weird behavior?

The problem with such behavior is that you then have to decide what to do with:

 * The workflow state of the parent folders
 * What to do with 'default' pages; you can set some piece of content
as the default view for a folder (similar to an index.html file on a
conventional HTTP server).
 * What to do with the non-language-neutral fields on the folders
themselves (title, description, etc).

LinguaPlone avoids making these decisions for you and instead expects
you to make the decision on a folder-by-folder basis, by hand. Note
that when you create a translation for a parent folder, any content in
the same language as the new folder will be moved across
automatically.

You can implement your own policy on a per-content-type basis by
providing a new ILocateTranslation adapter implementation. See
Products.LinguaPlone.utils for the default adapter implementation for
ITranslatable.

--
Martijn Pieters