[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Simone Orsi simahawk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 08:45:16 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On 03/14/2012 08:57 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> On 13 March 2012 23:33, Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net
> <mailto:aclark at aclark.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>

>     On 3/13/12 7:14 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>         So far, anyone I'd consider in the target audience who've
>         managed to
>         reply in this thread have been pretty positive, so that's
>         probably a
>         good sign.
>

>     Sorry, not sure what you mean. Can we pick a name like
>     "integrators"? and/or "product developers"?
>

>         It means anyone who wants to do Plone development, and who is
>         not an
>         expert or even all that familiar with:
>
>         - setuptools
>         - Python eggs
>         - sys.path and site packages
>         - compiling stuff from source
>         - Plone
>         - Plone development
>         - buildout
>         - Zopeskel
>

>     OK so "not Python programmers", that helps.
>

> There are *tons* of people who know how to write Python, who are not
> very familiar/comfortable with those technologies.

that's true and the only times I realize that is when I have to tell ppl
that know python how to bootstrap their plone environment: I have to
explain a looooot of things!

I feel confident with all these tools (after years of struggling :P) and
probably I'm not going to use it, but I recognize that this script is a
huge kick for starters :) Great work Martin!

BTW, I tested it on a Ubuntu 11.10 and it worked like a charm ;)

Cheers,
SimO