[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 23:14:40 UTC 2012

On 13 March 2012 23:10, Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net> wrote:

> On 3/13/12 4:01 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>> I think you need to look a bit more closely at what the script does
>> before passing judgment. I feel like your comment below misses the point.
>>

> I understand what you are trying to do, and I'm not passing judgement, so
> please don't misunderstand why I'm taking the time to comment.
>
> What I am saying is: let us think very carefully about who we are
> targeting with something like plone-devstart and make sure (i.e. via group
> consensus and/or FWT evaluation, as needed) we are taking the "right" steps
> for that target audience.

So far, anyone I'd consider in the target audience who've managed to reply
in this thread have been pretty positive, so that's probably a good sign.

> According to the documentation, the target audience is:
>
> ---
> … those with a system-installed or custom compiled Python … no need to
> have a functioning easy_install or pip to be able to use it.
> ----
>
> Based on those statements, I'm not sure if that means "Python programmers"
> in general or folks more, or less, skilled than that. So that's the first
> thing I'm trying to understand. I ran the script and committed the output
> to:

It means anyone who wants to do Plone development, and who is not an expert
or even all that familiar with:

- setuptools
- Python eggs
- sys.path and site packages