[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

David Glick (GW) davidglick at groundwire.org
Tue Mar 13 17:17:58 UTC 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Alex Clark wrote:

On 3/10/12 5:15 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
Hi,

Somewhat inspired by the goals of the ``plone.api`` initiative and based
on the experience of seeing many, many people struggle to get a "safe"
Plone development up and running due to problems with polluted system
Python interpreters, missing libraries and confusing buildouts, I have
created a script called ``plone-devstart.py``.

+0

In the interest of stop energy (kidding)… but seriously: can we not go
in this direction, if at all possible? Or at least think out loud a bit
more before first.

My thoughts:

We've spent years getting Plone situated in a "nice" place within the
Python community. To address the concerns of the ``plone.api`` folks and
anyone that has trouble installing or developing add-ons for Plone, I
would strongly recommend that we adhere very closely to "Python best
practices"[1].

Now, I completely understand Martin's motivation here and may personally
be interested in trying plone-devstart.py to see what he has come up
with. But I don't think, at least my gut reaction tells me, that a
project-specific script is not what we need or want more of here[2].

Think about it this way: the Plone project has very ambitious goals with
regard to CMS functionality, and a limited set of developers to
accomplish those goals. We don't want those resources spent on Python
module installation problems, if we can help it. Better to offload that
problem to the worldwide community of Python folks IMHO for "free" support.

Alex

[1] Support: "pip install -r 4.2.x.txt Plone" ASAP. Failures with this
process become "general Python failures" not "Plone specific failures".
Don't have PIL? "pip install Pillow" and so on. Let requirements.txt
equal versions.cfg in effect, and let's figure out how to build out a
bunch of zcml slugs without buildout. (Actually, with Pillow, it's
probably now "safe" to depend on it in the way we depend on Zope2.
Installation problems have been practically eliminated for all major
OSes. The only "gotcha" is C extensions, but Zope2 has those too. Oh and
PIL's deps, but the Unified Installer includes those for its purposes
and anyone that can type "pip install Plone" can probably type
"{aptitude,brew,etc} install libjpeg-dev" and so on.)

[2] One exception may be if "pip install plone-devstart" were supported.

I'm all in favor of moving toward supporting a more "standard Python" installation approach, but I think something along the lines of Martin's plone-devstart script would be useful even then. I'd rather run a script which checks to make sure everything is installed and installs the missing things than have to remember all the steps myself. If we can build those checks into Plone's setup.py though, so much the better -- so I'd much rather consider Martin's script as very useful research toward that end rather than as a "wrong direction."

David

David Glick
Web Developer
davidglick at groundwire.org