[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

David Glick (GW) davidglick at groundwire.org
Mon Mar 12 15:58:38 UTC 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 8:19 AM, "Martin Aspeli" <optilude+lists at gmail.com<mailto:optilude+lists at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

On 12 March 2012 14:17, Maurits van Rees <m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl<mailto:m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl>> wrote:
Op 10-03-12 23:15, Martin Aspeli schreef:

Hi,

Somewhat inspired by the goals of the ``plone.api`` initiative and based
on the experience of seeing many, many people struggle to get a "safe"
Plone development up and running due to problems with polluted system
Python interpreters, missing libraries and confusing buildouts, I have
created a script called ``plone-devstart.py``.

The idea is that you can use this to instantiate a new development
environment in a 'safe' way. It will perform some checks on your
environment to determine the likelihood of success. It then installs a
bunch of useful development tools, a basic deployment configuration, and
creates a simple (non-reusable) package where you can put your custom
Python code and templates.

For now it lives here: https://github.com/plone/plone-devstart/

It supports Plone 4.1, though I plan to add 4.2 support shortly.

You can download the one file you need here:
https://github.com/plone/plone-devstart/raw/master/plone-devstart.py

I've tested as much as I can, but if this is to work out for a broader
audience, we need lots of people to test. If you have a particularly
messed up environment, I'd like to hear about it. :)

Thanks for creating this.

I wanted to push a simple fix (PIL mail fail -> PIL may fail), but I have no write access.  Maybe something needs to be fixed since this started out on your own github account.

Probably.

Rok, help? :-)

You just need to grant the Developers team access to the new repository. Anyone who is in the Owners team should be able to do that.

David Glick
Web Developer
davidglick at groundwire.org
206.286.1235x32