[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Mar 12 14:17:25 UTC 2012

Op 10-03-12 23:15, Martin Aspeli schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Somewhat inspired by the goals of the ``plone.api`` initiative and based
> on the experience of seeing many, many people struggle to get a "safe"
> Plone development up and running due to problems with polluted system
> Python interpreters, missing libraries and confusing buildouts, I have
> created a script called ``plone-devstart.py``.
>
> The idea is that you can use this to instantiate a new development
> environment in a 'safe' way. It will perform some checks on your
> environment to determine the likelihood of success. It then installs a
> bunch of useful development tools, a basic deployment configuration, and
> creates a simple (non-reusable) package where you can put your custom
> Python code and templates.
>
> For now it lives here: https://github.com/plone/plone-devstart/
>
> It supports Plone 4.1, though I plan to add 4.2 support shortly.
>
> You can download the one file you need here:
> https://github.com/plone/plone-devstart/raw/master/plone-devstart.py
>
> I've tested as much as I can, but if this is to work out for a broader
> audience, we need lots of people to test. If you have a particularly
> messed up environment, I'd like to hear about it. :)

Thanks for creating this.

I wanted to push a simple fix (PIL mail fail -> PIL may fail), but I
have no write access.  Maybe something needs to be fixed since this
started out on your own github account.

The script complains about a missing jpeglib.h, but when I tell it to
continue PIL gets compiled just fine.  Uploading a jpeg works fine too,
including creating the extra sizes.  This is on Mac OSX 10.6.8, both
with the standard Mac Python and with a Python from buildout.python with
a virtualenv in front (and with PIL already installed actually).  So it
does not include the directory containing jpeglib.h.  Not sure how that
would be solvable in a generic way.  But anyway, PIL is working for me.

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/
Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl