[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Érico Andrei ericof at plone.org
Sun Mar 11 17:08:02 UTC 2012

On 11/03/12 01:20, David Glick wrote:
> We do also really need to fix the ZopeSkel situation. Right now a ton
> of tutorials give instructions for it that just don't work with the
> new version, which is a huge huge barrier for newbies. But having
> ZopeSkel implementation and docs in sync is a different problem than
> getting a working development set up, so I don't understand the stop
> energy from people. plone-devstart and ZopeSkel are complementary tools.
Our problem with ZopeSkel goes beyond keeping docs in sync. We never
finished ZopeSkel < 2.99 -- as it has a zopeskel script that did not
support local commands -- and we decided to go with a new idea (templer)
with ZopeSkel 3.0 and that is in a zombie state (again, no local
commands), and then we saw this whole ZopeSkel situation deserved a new
approach (Crushinator) and that is also stalled somewhere.

And just to avoid any "lost in translation" stuff: I really liked
plone-devstart, I do not want to stop anything. I believe we need to
look at the landscape and simplify it as much as possible. Let's choose
between ZopeSkel/Paster, ZopeSkel/Templer or Crushinator and make it
work, otherwise plone-devstart is just a pair of training wheels for a
marathon runner.

érico andrei