[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Érico Andrei ericof at plone.org
Sun Mar 11 16:38:23 UTC 2012

On 11/03/12 00:42, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> I agree, though that's a different topic.
>
> Please see the plone-devstart FAQ for the reasons why this *isn't*
> based on ZopeSkel or one of its component parts. In short, the dev
> environment setup needs to be as simple as possible if it is to try to
> deal with potentially 'broken' environments (e.g. no working setuptools).

Yes, I read the FAQ and I agree with it but my criticism is that this
brings another step, another layer, another page to read, another slide
to presentations. New developers will love it until the moment they need
ZopeSkel, Paster...

> The buildout created by plone-devstart installs a 'safe' ZopeSkel so
> that you can use that to create new packages.

I really tested plone-devstart and I really liked, but I'm already used
to carry the whole (heavy) toolbox to work with Plone development. New
developers are not, and after giving training sessions to them it
becomes very clear that python buildout + zopeskel + paster + zopeskel.*
is **too much** and plone-devstart will replace only the bundle python
buildout + "zopeskel to create a new buildout".

Just to be clear, plone-devstart is amazing, the whole plone-devstart +
zopeskel + paster + zopeskel.* is the issue.

érico andrei