[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Érico Andrei ericof at plone.org
Sun Mar 11 06:54:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

     First of all, it is a very good initiative. We need to lower the
entry barrier to Plone development in order to attract new people.

     But, even though something like plone-devstart is a good idea, I
might ask if it was the right move or even if this is what we needed the
most.

     Last night while talking to Clayton and Liz about the whole
ZopeSkel/Paster/Templer/Crushinator situation it became clear that the
story for new developers is a complete mess.

     There are good ideas, great developers and high expectations. There
isn't a working solution. Some people jumped on Templer, most people
still need to pin ZopeSkel <2.99 (damn local commands).

     This is bad, and having a new shinny thing that "eases" Plone
development just made the situation even worse -- as long as someone
must use it and then <zopeskel create> & <paster addcontent>.

     Time to kill most of the available options, focus on **just one**
and have a compelling story to tell to newcomers.

best,
érico andrei