[Product-Developers] ANN: plone-devstart (please help test)

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:15:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

Somewhat inspired by the goals of the ``plone.api`` initiative and based on
the experience of seeing many, many people struggle to get a "safe" Plone
development up and running due to problems with polluted system Python
interpreters, missing libraries and confusing buildouts, I have created a
script called ``plone-devstart.py``.

The idea is that you can use this to instantiate a new development
environment in a 'safe' way. It will perform some checks on your
environment to determine the likelihood of success. It then installs a
bunch of useful development tools, a basic deployment configuration, and
creates a simple (non-reusable) package where you can put your custom
Python code and templates.

For now it lives here: https://github.com/plone/plone-devstart/

It supports Plone 4.1, though I plan to add 4.2 support shortly.

You can download the one file you need here:
https://github.com/plone/plone-devstart/raw/master/plone-devstart.py

I've tested as much as I can, but if this is to work out for a broader
audience, we need lots of people to test. If you have a particularly messed
up environment, I'd like to hear about it. :)

Martin