[Product-Developers] Geospatial search with Plone (neighborhood search)

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Mar 3 15:03:09 UTC 2012

Followup on my own question: I decided not to use any external geo
database since they all seem to depend on external libraries (and the
target platform is Windows...too much trouble ahead). For our 10k
location it is reasonable fast to calculate the distance brute-force
(taking 0.1 second for 10k locations using geopy)....problem
solved to far.

Which of the Maps add-ons should be used to implement something like

http://www.mcdonalds.de/metanavigation/mcfinder/mcfinder.cfm

from the Plone integration point of view?

Basically Plone + a search from inside the Google Maps view.
The Plone backend can deliver the necessary data as JSON or whatever
(as implemented above)....is there some particular add-on that
would help here? Most Plone Google Maps integrations seem to
work on the Location field for individual content object. In our case
the locations are not Plone content objects. Or is it better to build
a custom solution from scratch on top of the Google Maps V3 api?

- -aj