[Product-Developers] planet.plone.org cleanup - everyone with a blog on Planet Plone needs to read this

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Tue Feb 28 17:03:45 UTC 2012

Hi Derek,

On 2/27/12 8:46 PM, derek wrote:
> On Feb 27, 10:36 am, Héctor Velarde<hector.vela... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> also, I think it would be very nice if people writing about other topics
>> can update their blog feeds in order to include only Plone-related posts...
>>
>> this is plante.plone.org... isn't it?
>>

> Huh?  It's a site for blogs.  You write about what you think is
> relevant - if that's not Plone, so what?

The planet feed may lose its relevance which is not what we want.

> It's one thing to suggest
> that people whose feeds are generating errors should fix them, it's
> something far different to advocate censoring the content.

Most planet feeds (including ours, I believe) have fairly strict
policies about the type of content they aggregate. I am on three planet
feeds at the moment:

- plone
- python
- mozilla

If I were to overload Python or Mozilla with Plone posts, I would expect
to be removed. So it's not as much about censorship (which is a bit of a
loaded term) as it is about proper netiquette. In Plone's case, we
expect folks to post things that are "relevant", for some value of
relevant. I don't think we are too strict about enforcement, but I've
seen some cases in the past where folks have been asked to limit their
posts via a plone-specific tag. I think this is reasonable.

Of course the occasional off-topic post is rarely a concern for anyone.
It's more the egregious offenders we are talking about.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com