[Product-Developers] How attached to POI issue trackers are we?

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 22:30:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Maurits van Rees
<m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
> Op 08-02-12 20:42, Jon Stahl schreef:
>
>> Hi all-
>>
>> A hypothetical question for all of you add-on product developers out
>> there...
>>
>> I am doing some high-level thinking (which I will be sharing soon)
>> about the future architecture for add-on product data in plone.org,
>> and one question that's occurred to me is whether we are at a point
>> where we can deprecate our POI issue trackers in favor of
>> externally-hosted issue trackers, such as those provided by Github.
>>
>> Is anybody on this list still actively using their POI/PSC issue
>> tracker on plone.org?  If we were to set a "deprecation date" with,
>> say, a couple months' notice, would that pose a major hardship?
>>
>> I'd love to hear your thoughts.  To repeat: no decisions have been
>> made, I'm just floating a trial balloon.
>

> Hi Jon and others,
>
> I don't always read the mailing lists every day or week, so I am coming to
> this a bit late. :-)  I will add some thoughts here as the current
> maintainer of Poi.
>
> I think the Poi trackers on plone.org work just fine.  I am not aware of big
> problems.  If you do have problems, please report them in this thread or in
> this fine issue tracker on plone.org. :-)
> http://plone.org/products/poi/issues
>
> That said, the issue trackers on github work just fine too.  I use both.
>
> I work for Zest Software and we use Poi on our projects site.  I know two
> other Dutch Plone companies that use it too.  So Poi is not going away or be
> unmaintained any time soon.
>
> So: I see no immediate reason to deprecate the Poi trackers on plone.org.
>  But I don't mind much if that does happen.
>
> I could probably write an exporter, or give feedback and assistance to
> someone else doing that.  I did not immediately notice an issue importer on
> github though.  Is there such a tool on github or on other popular platforms
> that offer issue trackers?

Maurits-

Just to be clear, the context for this hypothetical is that I have
been thinking a bit about ways to simplify the products section on
plone.org so that it can be more of a "scrape from pypi" type of
resource than something that developers have to directly interact with
a lot.

Getting rid of the dependency on Poi (which I agree, is great and
(mostly) non-problematic) seemed like one possible way, especially if
it is not being actively used by many add-on developers.  My
hypothesis was that most add-on devs have migrated issue tracking
either to Github or to some other external-to-plone.org bug tracking
resource, and it was this hypothesis that I was testing.  Absolutely
no lack of love for Poi intended. :-)

:jon