[Product-Developers] Taxonomy support in a modern Plone

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Fri Aug 31 00:22:48 UTC 2012

On 31/08/2012, at 1:33 AM, Malthe Borch wrote:

> On 30 August 2012 15:44, Jean-Michel FRANCOIS <toutpt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> You want security over taxonomy ? Taxonmy is about categorization,
>> so I may
>> don't understand things here.
>
> Yes, to restrict which users can change (or add or delete) a term (or
> a subtree of terms) at a particular location.
>
> It's a requirement for us – but I don't know myself if it makes sense.
> I suppose it depends on the taxonomy.
>
>> First I believe vdex is complex  but next I know "invent yourself"
>> pattern
>> is really bad.
>
> I'm not sure I agree entirely, but I agree that you shouldn't always
> "roll your own". That's also why I started this discussion. I'd like
> to get feedback – and we'd also like to get community support and
> buy-in.
>
> I think we could support non-Dexterity subterms (like vdex) – although
> perhaps not in the first release. This would be useful in situations
> with a particularly large number of terms.

If we had 3 different kinds of plugins that could talk to each other
we'd have a pretty powerful system

- vocabulary plugins that let you create taxonomies and produces
standard vocabularies. Possibly also supplying widgets and indexes for
integration. e.g. ATVM and the plugin your suggesting
- plugins to let you control how users classify content which can use
vocabularies e.g. dexterity content types, collective.facets
- plugins to let you use indexed classifications in navigation e.g.
eea.facetednavigation, collections and perhaps the navigation portlet
enhancements I mentioned that could create virtual folders based on a
taxonomy vocabulary.

I personally think plugins like collective.metanav that combine
navigation and taxonomy creation together could be too inflexible.
Although I can see that you'd need less steps to get things done
potentially.

As an example of integration if I added support for constrained
vocabularies in collective.facets my users should be able to take
advantage of your plugin when it becomes available. I'm not sure if
I'd need someway to determine which is the best widget to use, and if
a KeywordIndex is the best way to index that data though?
If I could just display a list of vocabularies and have the use pick
they one they want without having to know technical details that would
be awesome.