[Product-Developers] Taxonomy support in a modern Plone

Sean Upton sdupton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 19:44:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Jean Jordaan <jean.jordaan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://plone.org/products/atvocabularymanager/ which has tree like
>> vocabularies. This uses content types as terms.
>
> I'm fond of ATVocabularyManager. I like that vocabularies are content,
> supporting all the normal stuff like cut'n'paste and sharing.

I have had this notion for a while that there needs to be some kind of
ability -- based on the content context -- to look up (flat and
tree-like) terms (sources) from both user-curated taxonomies (as
content, like ATVM) and from pluggable (named) utilities loading
similar fixed/controlled vocabularies (MeSH, ICD9, NAICS, IPTC
SubjectCodes, etc, etc) from add-ons on the filesystem.

Any solution likely should support both sources in software-defined
components and dynamic sources made from managed/curated content, or
some kind of hybrid (e.g. baseline vocabulary is on the filesystem
loaded from XML or CSV, and additions/modifications could take place
on content -- maybe not the overkill of just bootstrapping ATVM with
content/terms originally sourced from the filesystem).

Sean