[Product-Developers] Taxonomy support in a modern Plone

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:55:44 UTC 2012

First of all, thanks for tackling this :)  IMHO a useful taxonomy support is
a great thing to have and a lot of value added.

sorry i am very brief here but i am pretty swamped so i just wanted
to throw some ideas of the top of my head around.

Import export, reuse of existing taxonomies: For many use cases
there already exist taxonomies, an easy way to import them
(maybe OWL format) would be a time and effort saver

Glossary: A contentish taxonomy can also double as a glossary.
Governmental Organisation, NGOs, IGOs, frequently have to
append Glossaries to their project document, developing a
taxonomy out of a glossary could be easier than starting from
scratch - and the other way round an existing taxonomy makes
it easier to provide a good glossary.

I agree with Dylan that a taxonomy for the sole use as a navigation
structure is an abuse of the concept, for a faceted content discovery
it is useful

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Malthe Borch <mborch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 August 2012 03:22, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:
>> I think part of the issue with taxonomies is the same word gets used to mean
>> different things in the CMS world. Drupal in particular has "abused" it to
>> mean not just classifying something with a hierarchical tags, but creating a
>> navigation structure based on those hierarchical tags. It's not clear to me
>> if you are suggesting ways to tag content or ways to use tags in content to
>> build navigation or something else? It's not clear to me your use case, so I
>> think it might help to write this out more fully.
>
> Just putting tags on content.
>
>> I really want to help get this sorted however so that we have one solution
>> that is very flexible instead of all these partial implementations. However
>> I think starting from small steps that integrate well with how we currently
>> do things in plone is the best way to get there. Hence why collective.facets
>> is very minimal and only deals with adding classification to existing
>> content.
>
> ==> collective.facets
>
> This is not our typical use-case. We have a fixed model with fields
> that pull values from a named vocabulary component.
>
> What we want is to connect this component with a taxonomy hierarchy
> implemented as Dexterity-content – which we'll try to keep as
> light-weight as possible.
>
> ==> redomino.advancedkeyword
>
> The basic motivation is the same, but we need a more general
> implementation that really bridges the formal interface declarations
> with an editable taxonomy.
>
> \malthe

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Nairobi - Kenya
Mobile : +254 702978914

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>