[Product-Developers] Taxonomy support in a modern Plone

Malthe Borch mborch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:18:13 UTC 2012

On 30 August 2012 03:22, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:
> I think part of the issue with taxonomies is the same word gets used to mean
> different things in the CMS world. Drupal in particular has "abused" it to
> mean not just classifying something with a hierarchical tags, but creating a
> navigation structure based on those hierarchical tags. It's not clear to me
> if you are suggesting ways to tag content or ways to use tags in content to
> build navigation or something else? It's not clear to me your use case, so I
> think it might help to write this out more fully.

Just putting tags on content.

> I really want to help get this sorted however so that we have one solution
> that is very flexible instead of all these partial implementations. However
> I think starting from small steps that integrate well with how we currently
> do things in plone is the best way to get there. Hence why collective.facets
> is very minimal and only deals with adding classification to existing
> content.

==> collective.facets

This is not our typical use-case. We have a fixed model with fields
that pull values from a named vocabulary component.

What we want is to connect this component with a taxonomy hierarchy
implemented as Dexterity-content – which we'll try to keep as
light-weight as possible.

==> redomino.advancedkeyword

The basic motivation is the same, but we need a more general
implementation that really bridges the formal interface declarations
with an editable taxonomy.

\malthe