[Product-Developers] collective.recipe.backup doesn't clean up older blob backups and snapshots

Sean Upton sdupton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:08:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Jochen Dekeyser
<jochen.dekeyser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, indeed, that is my plan to restore:
> * copy the full blob directory
> * find the files newer that the date you want to restore, and delete them
>
> So no tricky things here, I was just to be sure, that I did not damage anything.

rsync --delete is your friend here, safer than a raw find command.
Take a look at the (buldout-friendly, templated) shell script I linked
to earlier in this thread.  It does a few nice things:

* Keeps the current snapshot current - no stale (old files removed by pack).

* Keeps 1..N days snapshots, with little additional disk space.  Uses
hard links, so you consume inodes, not disk space.  One of my sites
has 2GB of BLOBs, and I don't see more than 2.1GB of total disk space
consumed usually by 7 days worth of snapshots (in addition to the
source 2GB) -- so you basically just plan for double the storage of
whatever your BLOB dir is storing at any time.

I sync local copies of snapshots, then pull rsync+ssh the rest to
remote storage, then perform the same snapshoting on the remote
storage as I do with local backups.  This is a nice side-effect of
just using a bash script.

Sean