[Product-Developers] [Deco] State of the project and who is in charge ?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:46:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 14 October 2011 06:45, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> we are currently working on a tender for a fairly large CMS project
> and something like a "composed page" is a key requirement.
>
> Of course Deco would be our first choice before writing something on our
> own.
>
> Geir lately called Deco (on twitter) almost production ready...I would
> disagree after some testing. There are some issues regarding usability
> and UI.

I think it's in a state where it requires a lot of testing and polish. The
fundamentals should be there, though.

> Who is currently actively working on the project and who is the project
> lead?

Rob Gietema and me are probably the two doing the most driving forward. Lots
of other people are involved, though.

> In case we get the contract we would have a significant budget to invest
> into Deco and bring it forward (the budget could  something around
> 10.000 ? - perhaps a bit more :)).

That's great!

> The requirements in our project are basically:
>
>  - usability, usability, usability
>
>  - we need grid constraints. Content authors should not be allowed
>   to position boxes wherever they want. Standard use case having
>   a vertical slot where content elements aka boxes should be positioned
>   one after the other with perhaps two boxes side-by side (with a 50:50
>   width). So basically no flexible position of boxes but position
>   of boxes with either a predefined grid (or perhaps the author
>   can choose and customize the grid within the certain
>   borders according to the global site style guide).

There are provisions in the design (and Python code) for this to be
controlled by a permission.

> Where and with whom can I discuss those issues?

This list, please.

> Will there be Deco people at the Plone conference? Perhaps
> a Deco sprint at the conference?

I assume so! I can't make the sprints, unfortunately, but definitely
available during the conference to discuss.

Martin