[Product-Developers] PloneIDE

Franco Pellegrini frapell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:07:33 UTC 2011

Hi Martin, thank you very much ! :D

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Martin Aspeli
<optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, wow. That is incredibly cool. Well done!
> I'd love to hear more about the roadmap, current state and how far off you
> feel it is from a beta? What is and isn't supported right now (e.g.
> Dexterity)? What features would you like to add?

About the roadmap, well, i'm afraid there isn't one. This whole thing
started as a proof of concept, then, when one thing worked, i added a
new feature, and when that worked, i added a new one... and so on...
when i realized, i had a lot already working. What i do have now, is a
lot of features i would like the IDE to have for it's 1.0 release,
which i'm gradually adding to the Issue tracker, and coding
eventually, when i have some time... as i mentioned to Giacomo, I'm
currently alone with this, so, i hope to, someday, see some commits
from you guys :)

About current state, it's about everything that is in the video...
About Dexterity, i haven't added any specific code for it, so,
anything outside just opening files and coding, i'm afraid isn't
supported yet.

> Out of curiosity, can you explain why you need the separate recipe + launch
> script?

Well, there are a couple of things that i realized i needed when i
added debugging support.
I needed to start Zope inside the debugger, so i could add breakpoints
from the IDE and everything... also, i needed to communicate with the
debugger, so there goes one of the auxiliar HTTP servers that is being
used (btw, not sure if this is the best approach to handle this).

At this moment, some key functionality of the IDE, like opening and
saving files, were being executed through z3views. I realized, that if
the Zope process was stopped (because of debugging), you wouldn't be
able to save or open files, and there goes the second auxiliar HTTP
server.

So, the recipe started to be needed, first to get the launch script,
and then i thought it was a good place to add low-level configuration
for the IDE, like the ports where these 2 HTTP servers listen on,
configure which eggs to show in the file tree, etc...

> Have you looked
> at https://github.com/plone/plone.app.theming/tree/optilude-ace? It also
> uses ACE, and this is going to be in Plone 4.3 hopefully. Nathan van Gheem
> suggested we should try to unify the UI, whether by sharing code (though
> ploneide can't be a dependency of p.a.theming, some shared JS/CSS may end up
> in plone.resourceeditor perhaps) or just unifying the look-and-feel a bit
> better.

No, i haven't yet. Someone, I think it was Érico, at the Plone
Symposium South America (where i actually presented this idea[0]) told
me that you were developing this "coding on the clooud" for theming...
The main goal of this project, is to be an IDE... i want to be able,
eventually, to do all sorts of things from it, like starting,
stopping, restarting, etc Zope from it, having paster integrated, so
you would be able to create new products and place them where they
should be, etc, etc... So I don't think this product can be a
dependency of any of Plone's dependencies...

Unifying the look and feel of this with optilude-ace is a fantastic
idea in my opinion. Not sure what are the main goals of it, but if it
is trying to make the development easier, then i guess we are on the
same track, and unifying it, can bring nothing but good things.

> But again - awesome job! I really, really hope this ends up being completed
> - I could see it getting some really widespread use.
> Cheers,
> Martin

Again Martin, thank you a lot... i hope that too :)

Kind regards,
Franco

[0] - http://www.pythonbrasil.org.br/2011/programacao/grade-do-evento/plone-symposium-south-america/ploneide-making-plone-development-easier-and-faster