[Product-Developers] PloneIDE

Franco Pellegrini frapell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:06:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Giacomo Spettoli
<giacomo.spettoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please guys don't go off topic, it could be better to start a new discussion
> for talking about sauna.reload  :)
>
> The topic here is this fantastic piece of software.
> This could be the most impressive feature added to Plone's universe since
> long time. I will try it very soon.
>
> Franco, how long did it take (more or less) to you to get this point? How
> long do you think will take to get at least to a beta stage?
>
> Really (really!) good job,
>
> -Giacomo

Hi Giacomo, well, first of all, thank you :)
It is hard to specify how much time was needed to get me into this
point... The idea started floating my mind around 4 years ago, then i
came across Bespin (which is Ace's predecessor, made by the Mozilla
foundation) and started messing around with it, trying to see how it
would integrate with Plone like 2 years ago... Bespin wasn't good
enough, it was pretty slow, and you didn't even need to open really
big files. So i just left it there.

Then Ace came along, and to give it a try, i replaced Bespin with it,
and was really amazed by the speed it had, even opening files with
more than 10k Lines... that was february or march i think. And then i
started adding features, and here we are :P

About going to a beta stage, well, i'm doing this almost entirely in
my spare time, which is not a lot unfortunately... so i really don't
know in time. I would consider this to be in beta, when the IDE is
stable enough, so developers won't loose their work if something goes
wrong. For example, right now, if you have unsaved work and you go to
another URL, you loose your changes... stuff like that, that will make
someone hate it so much, it will never use it again...

If i can manage to get a couple of you folks interested, and can
contribute with the project, then i think we could have a usable
product soon...

Kind regards,
Franco