[Product-Developers] PloneIDE

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 13:42:28 UTC 2011

Franco Pellegrini-2 wrote:

> Hello everybody, i've been working on this project for quite some
> time, and i wanted to share it with you. It's an IDE for Plone
> development.
>
> It is currently in a pre-alpha stage of development.
>
> You can see a screencast here (HD and fullscreen recommended):
> http://vimeo.com/30446168
>
> And this is the project page:
> http://code.google.com/p/ploneide/

Wow! That's extremely cool.

A few things I noticed watching the video:

* I am a little concerned about the potential for making changes that lock
yourself out of your IDE (because when it is this good people might not
bother with anything else.) Might it be better to run the IDE part from a
separate process (perhaps listening on a different port)? There would still
need to be a small part that provides the introspection features you require
running under the zope server, but it should be possible to separate the
two. I guess you might need to proxy requests from the IDE server to the
Zope server to work around cross domain issues.

* When opening an existing template there should probably be a button that
makes a z3c.jbot customization of it.

* Adding Git support (perhaps via Dulwich) would also be great. We should
encourage people to use versioning.

Laurence