[Product-Developers] pypi vs plone.org releases

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Tue Oct 11 15:00:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 10/11/11 12:59 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a previous thread where this was brought up but nothing resolved.
> Plugins these days tend to get released on plone.org OR pypi but not
> always both.
> This is confusing for inexperienced intergrators or end customers.
> For instance looking at plone.org you'd think Products.PloneGlossary is
> unmaintained
>
> http://plone.org/products/ploneglossary
>
> but if you look at pypi you realise it is maintained.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.PloneGlossary/1.5.0b3#b3-2011-07-15
>
> There were some clever suggestions about how to fix this but none seems
> particularly easy.
> For instance make PSC mirror all the releases for software it manages
> from pypi.
>
> Anyone got a bright idea on how to fix this?

Easy fixes
==========

The easiest fix would be to disable/abandon plone.org/products, but I
don't think anyone wants to do that yet (including me).

The next easiest "fix" (which isn't really a fix) is to promote
dual-releases via mkrelease, releaser, etc.

Hard fixes
==========

As you mention, we could build some clever system to list PyPI entries
on plone.org. But I think the new http://opencomparison.org/ stuff
tackles some of this and I don't want to duplicate that effort.

But the hardest fix involves just being able to do *anything* on
plone.org right now. There are many ideas/tasks floating around; and I
know the board is actively seeking resolution(s); I hope some of these
will materialize between now and the end of the year:

* Upgrade plone.org to 4.2.x
   * Create a plonetheme.ploneorg package to hold the "new" theme, and
factor it out of Products.PloneOrg
   * Make releases for all dependencies and update the buildout, most of
this has been done and is reflected in
https://github.com/plone/Products.PloneOrg/tree/4.1-compat

Alex

--