[Product-Developers] [Remember Mailing List] is it possible to substitue a custom template for a standard plone configlet?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu May 26 18:28:14 UTC 2011

Op 26-05-11 19:47, ken manheimer schreef:
> I'm cleaning up Products.remember, and want to make the way it changes
> the Site Setup Users and Groups (@@usergroup-userprefs) configlet less
> disruptive.  In general, can products substitute different page
> templates for standard Site Setup configlets without permanently
> changing it for all portals in the zope instance?
>
> The latter is what Products.remember is currently doing, replacing the
> standard usergroup-userprefs template with its own via an
> overrides.zcml.  There are two big problems with this - it affects all
> the portals in the Zope instance, whether or not Products.remember is
> quick-installed, and it is permanent, lasting after Products.remember
> has been removed entirely from the system.

I have not looked at the code, but I find this part hard to believe.  If
Products.remember is removed from the system then its overrides.zcml
cannot be loaded anymore so the default behavior returns, right?

> Since I don't know why that approach was taken, i'm unsure about
> whether less disruptive approaches would work.  Don't products
> sometimes have to offer different versions of standard control panel
> configlets?  What's the right way to do it?

This approach was probably taken because it is the easiest approach:
just assume there is only one Plone Site and that no one adds
Products.remember unless he really wants to install and use it.

The usual way to get more control over this, is by moving whatever is in
the overrides.zcml to a normal configure.zcml and registering it for
your own browser layer (see the plone.browserlayer package).

> Guidance would be greatly appreciated!  I've checked in several
> Products.remember fixes to the collective, including Plone 4 and
> Products.membrane 2 compatibility, integration of someone else's
> email-login provisions, a substantial part of uninstallation, and
> more.  This, plus an upgrade step to undo the effects of the
> overrides.zcml, are the main obstacles i'm facing before packaging up
> the changes for release.

Great, thanks!

--
Maurits van Rees