[Product-Developers] [Plone-i18n] side-by-side translation view in a working copy?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:14:15 UTC 2011

> Right, I forgot the edit form was form controller based.
>
> > Once I got tired of trying to make that work, I found I could make my
> > side-by-side editor work by adding 8 lines of code to I18NBaseObject.py
> and
> > changing 3 lines of translate_item.pt.
>
> Hhm, ok. So how about we introduce a new browser view in LinguaPlone
> as a helper for the edit template. We can get to that view via some
> "tal:define="view context/@@linguaplone_edit_view" and put a method on
> it to get the object to compare to. We can do this as a helper view,
> without turning the template into a browser page.

This works for me. I can just move the helper method, currently "return the
baseline copy, or self if this is not a working copy" into the helper view.
It should be easy to refactor LinguaPlone to take this into account without
an iterate dependency.

The translate_edit.cpy and validate_translate.cpy would also have to skip
most of what they do in case of a working copy. That logic probably belongs
in the helper view too.