[Product-Developers] Implementing browser views with customer specific functionalities

David Glick davidglick at groundwire.org
Mon Mar 28 04:50:24 UTC 2011

On 3/27/11 8:52 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> in my Produce&Publish application I have a browser view where a
> view I am using the formTabbing feature (<dl
> class="enableFormTabbing"...) for generating a conversion section
>
> Generate PDF | Generate PDF + HTML
>
> In customer projects we often need to extend this tabbed view
> with customer specific options like
>
> Generate PDF | Generate PDF + HTML | My Customer conversion | ....
>
> Is there a straight forward way to inject arbitrary tab titles and tab
> contents snippets here based on something.
>
> Viewlets are not appropriate here. Using actions is not an option (don't
> provide the "tab content").
>
> I am thinking of using named utilities here where the a utility
> could provide tab title and tab contents...not sure if there is a better
> way?
Or possibly use plone.app.registry, which gives you a basic UI and GS
import/export for free. But, it doesn't do a great job of handling the
case when you want a collection of items that all provide settings based
on some schema, which is what you have here.

The named utility approach could work okay though. I recently did
something like this in a branch of plone.app.dexterity, to look up
actions associated with particular behaviors:
http://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/47668 (this doesn't include an
analogue of your tab contents, but that's a small change). I might make
it be a named adapter of the context and request (in essence a view) so
that I could restrict availability to particular sites using browser
layers, rather than having to register persistent utilities.  But that
probably only matters if you have more than one Plone site per Zope
instance.

David Glick
 Web Developer
 davidglick at groundwire.org
 206.286.1235x32

Groundwire: You Are Connected
 http://groundwire.org

Online tools and strategies for the environmental movement.  Sign up for Groundwire News!
 http://groundwire.org/email-capture