[Product-Developers] Plone Crash Course

David Glick davidglick at groundwire.org
Thu Mar 17 03:47:14 UTC 2011

On 3/16/11 10:31 AM, Alex Clark wrote:
> On 3/14/11 8:09 PM, Dylan Jay wrote:
>> I think this whole thread raises a big documentation issue.
>> How is it that this question can still be asked? Where can we inject
>> documentation so there's no question that serious develop show be done
>> in the filesystem?
>>
>> I know in the early days many developer friends being put off by
>> Plone/Zope being about unsource controlled, TTW code and I thought we'd
>> shaken that image :(
>
> Although it kind of pains me to say this, I don't think we will be truly
> rid of the problem (confusing TTW w/file system best practices) until we
> have completely rid Plone of Zope2 (the "good" news is it will probably
> happen within a few years; when I think it'll be at least reasonable to
> expect moving Plone to the ZTK is possible).
Not sure what you mean about moving Plone to the ZTK. Plone 4.1 is
already based on the ZTK. (And Plone 3 and 4 are based on its spiritual
predecessor.)

If we really wanted to get rid of the ability to do TTW development, I
think it would be fairly straightforward (but a fair amount of work)
without moving away from Zope 2...just convert everything in
portal_skins to browser views, and remove the portal_skins and
portal_view_customizations tools.

David Glick
 Web Developer
 davidglick at groundwire.org
 206.286.1235x32

Groundwire: You Are Connected
 http://groundwire.org

Online tools and strategies for the environmental movement.  Sign up for Groundwire News!
 http://groundwire.org/email-capture