[Product-Developers] Plone Crash Course

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Wed Mar 16 17:37:00 UTC 2011

On 3/10/11 4:26 PM, raharley wrote:
> I'm looking for a development crash course for Plone. I have pretty good
> knowledge of Zope 2 +Python  but absolutely no Zope 3 exposure. Could
> someone point me to some good resources? I have so far got "Professional
> Plone development" by Martin Aspeli but I'm looking for something which will
> explain the Plone architecture in relation to Zope 2 - development best
> practices, how Plone works with ZMI etc. I have read that for development
> the ZMI should be avoided but all of my Zope 2 development is done through
> the ZMI!

I think one of the current best "real world" resources is the
"collective docs": http://collective-docs.plone.org/

It aims to cover almost ever single use case a developer may encounter
in an extremely practical way (i.e. here's the use case, here's how you
can solve it.)

Best of all if you are a developer, when you encounter something not
covered you can add it yourself[1].

Alex

[1] With collective access
(http://dev.plone.org/plone/wiki/ContributeCollective) and some