[Product-Developers] Plone Crash Course

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Mar 14 11:06:01 UTC 2011

Op 13-03-11 21:02, raharley schreef:
> Thanks for your replies. I will check those out. Am I correct in what I said
> about the ZMI, that it should be avoided for Plone development in favour of
> the filesystem? Or is the filesystem advantage negated if no source code
> versioning system is required?

Development of new features should indeed NOT be done in the ZMI.
Development should be done on the file system.  A versioning system for
your source code is highly recommended, but not required.

When your source code is on a file system:

- you can easily share your code with others

- you can use version control

- you can see which code you actually made, instead of guessing that it
was just a few templates in the portal skins custom map and forgetting
some scripts you added in the root, or changes you made in the portal_css

- you can test a new version of the code on your development machine
without needing a copy of the (possibly big) Data.fs

For more documentation resources I would say browse through
http://plone.org/documentation and see which documentation fits your
needs best.

Cheers,

--