[Product-Developers] multi markup "static text portlet"

msmith64 at zimbra.naz.edu msmith64 at zimbra.naz.edu
Mon Jun 20 01:06:39 UTC 2011

Dylan Jay wrote:
> why wouldn't you just patch plone.app.portlet.static?

Here's the thing: I'm working on integrating  http://markitup.jaysalvat.com
MarkItUp editor , but AFAICT it'd be the first Plone editor capable of
editing other than just text/html. The plone.app.portlet uses WYSIWYGWidget,
isn't sophisticated enough to turn itself off when it can't handle the
markup type chosen. That's fine for MarkItUp, but not TinyMCE, Kupu, or
CKEditor. The widget is chosen at Add/EditForm time, so I'd need some voodoo
to make it switch for editors besides my own. I don't think that logic
belongs in my product, but rather in the widget itself.

But this is more yak shaving than I wanted to do just to create an
arbitrary-markup enabled portlet, which is why I think it's reasonable to
create a new portlet rather than patching the existing static text portlet.

Feedback? Love? Hatemail?

-Mike